The Gauntlet

All new “Speech Week” for underclassmen English classes

This week's English lessons are centered around public speaking skills in a special mini-unit for freshman and sophomores.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Small assignments building up to students' final speeches, such as brainstorming of ideas, outlines, and drafts, are due each English class period this week. Be sure to check ssesonline for individual due dates and rubric guidelines.

Source: Flickr

Source: Flickr

Source: Flickr

Jules Pung, Staff Writer

Along with this year’s No-cellphone Experiment, faculty are currently implementing another “experiment,” one that the English Department has coined “Speech Week.”

According to English Department Chair Mr. Jamie Moore, this mini-unit is a solution to an issue AP Language and Composition students brought to light last year: upperclassmen feeling largely underprepared to give senior speeches, choosing to speak privately in front of the chapel council rather than at the altar of Christ Church.

Thus, Speech Week aims to teach freshman and sophomores about the proper etiquette to prepare and present a speech, addressing concepts of organization, projection, and body language, as well as the different types of speeches one might be expected to write.

“The goal is that all students will feel comfortable with public speaking,” said Mr. Moore, “not only so that they can give more senior speeches, but also because it’s such an important skill [to have in] the work world.”

Throughout this week, students will spend time choosing topics centered around a specific theme, developing an outline and draft, and finally, spending two to three minutes presenting their speech to their peers. Over the weekend, students are expected to create a reflection discussing their experience and what they have learned.

About the Writer
Jules Pung, Staff Writer

Jules Pung is a new writer for The Gauntlet this 2018-2019 year. She enjoys drawing and occasionally writing stories in her free time.