Columbia Model United Nations in review

Ten Saint Stephen’s Falcons returned this week after a trip to New York, where they participated in the prestigious Columbia Model UN conference.
A+group+of+delegates+smile+for+a+picture+inside+the+UN+assembly+room+
Milaan Smith
A group of delegates smile for a picture inside the UN assembly room

Motion to begin debate! Ten Saint Stephen’s students journeyed to New York City this past week for the Columbia Model United Nations Conference. Hosted on the Columbia University campus, over 800 delegates from across seven countries participated in a diverse blend of committees consisting of mock representatives from different countries and time periods. 

Committee meetings consist of two-hour blocks where groups of 10-50 students represent their countries or characters assigned to them. 

On many occasions, committees became heated with debates over various topics, ranging from climate change to a Hunger Games simulation, and even a Super Mario Bros debate.

Many of  Saint Stephen’s students attended the conference for the first time, and spirits were high.  Many of this year’s participants hope to participate in the conference again next year. 

Angelique Londeree, a sophomore student, mentioned that the event was, overall, a fantastic experience. 

“I loved meeting new people and having time to go around New York. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested.” 

Unlike Saint Stephen’s, many other prestigious schools that attended the conference have classes and clubs devoted to conferences like these.  In the past, Saint Stephen’s did as well, but this year, Saint Stephen’s could not compete against these prestigious schools.  

Learning Specialist Mrs. Skardoutos, who assisted in organizing participation in the conference, felt this would be a good idea for our school moving forward.

“It would be great to have a club or class that meets regularly to work on preparation for CMUNCE.” 

As the majority of students who went to the conference this year from Saint Stephen’s were new to the CMUNCE experience, sadly, we did not place. But beyond the conference, the group of students also had the opportunity to visit the United Nations, where they learned more about the behind the scenes of how our country and others work together for peace. 

A trip like this allows students to meet other like-minded peers, experience new things, and learn more about committees and possible interests. Make sure to look at the CMUNCE table at next year’s club fair. 

2