The Gauntlet

Cheerleading is back and better than ever

The cheer team has a whole new look, and they're bringing a new energy to campus and games. Here's a run-down on the changes that have changed the complexion of the program.

Emily D'Amico, Managing Editor

The Saint Stephen’s Cheerleading squad has always been a staple at football games and other key sporting events throughout the year.

This year, the Saint Stephen’s the cheer team underwent a few changes and the complexion of the program has changed, starting with new a varsity head coach.

Jamie Kitchner, a graduate of Bayshore High School, cheered at Manatee Community College (now State College of Florida) and graduated from University of South Florida, where she received her degree in Early Childhood Education. She is currently a student support specialist, similar to an academic dean, at Francis Wakeland Elementary School in Manatee County.

“I was inquiring to help volunteer,” Kitchner said, “to help the cheer squad, and I knew they were looking for some one, and so when I came in, I talked to Coach Paoletti and he said, ‘You know, we have something,’ and I’ve always wanted to be a cheer coach. It’s my love, it’s my passion. It develops unity and a sense of community and family in kids and that’s a life-long relationship that you form.”

Julianne Dunbar
Falcon Cheerleaders on the sidelines of a game, firing up the crowd.

Kitchner says that one of her personal goals for the cheer squad this year is to develop a sense of community. In terms of dances, cheers, and stunts, she wants the squad to take more risks.

“I really think that this season has been a a time to explore, and figure out what the squad wants, and just developing what they already have into a cohesive unit, and then adding the components, like the knowledge base that I have once we’ve already gotten everybody to the same point.”

Kitchner also says she wants to have the team be more versatile when it comes to stunts where bases, who typically do much of the lifting, better understand what it is that flyers and spotters do, and vice versa.

I really think that this season has been a a time to explore, and figure out what the squad wants, and just developing what they already have into a cohesive unit, and then adding the components, like the knowledge base that I have once we’ve already gotten everybody to the same point.”

— Jamie Kitchner

One of the changes this year that Kitchner has implemented is conditioning with Coach Brian Shultes in the weight room on Thursdays. “The way we use our muscles is a lot different than in sports like track,” says senior Guin Pijor. “The workouts that we do help us train the muscles that we use more, especially as bases, which so far, has helped us get some pretty solid stunts that we didn’t get last year. ”

Another change from last year is that after their workouts, the cheer squad practices on the track on Thursdays, weather permitting. Pijor says that it’s been good for them, allowing them to be better prepared for the games, allowing them to figure out spacing and placement.

Other things the cheer squad has been working on include new cheers and a dance routine for half-time during football games, which will be performed for the first time on October 19th during the homecoming pep rally.

Overall, the cheer squad is flying to new heights, ready to take on the new season.

About the Contributors
Emily D'Amico, Managing Editor

Emily D'Amico is a new writer for The Gauntlet 2018-2019. She enjoys technical theater work behind the scenes and being a member of the cheerleading team...

Julianne Dunbar, Director of Social Media

Julianne "Jules" Dunbar is a new member of The Gauntlet for the 2018-2019 school year. Julianne plays club soccer and enjoys music in her free time.