Same title, different year

The softball team poses with their trophy after the game

Devon Sullivan, News and Sports Editor

The Falcons have once again taken the title of Manatee County District Champions in softball. Their rival, Bradenton Christian, was the only other team in the district, meaning that Saint Stephen’s needed to make the one round of district play count to earn the district title.

BCS and SSES faced off twice during this season, each coming away with one win and one loss. The district final was, statistically speaking, versus two perfectly matched teams. Both knew that the winner of the district game would not only earn the title, but be seated as a higher seed for regional competition. Not wanting to play a harder team in the future, combined with a desire to defeat the Panthers on their own turf. The Falcons along with their fans, were invigorated, especially exciting moments.

A key moment occurred late in the 6th inning, with two outs and the Falcons down 10-11, sophomore Stephanie Castillo had 2 strikes. With Junior Lane Barnes on third and eighth grader Ashleigh Rodhouse on second base, Castillo needed a hit to the outfield to drive in the runners and change the score from 10-11 BCS to a score in Falcon’s favor.

Making contact, Castillo’s hit slowly rolled between the pitcher and the third baseman. It looked to be a sure out, but a throwing error put the ball way past the first baseman into deep right field. Castillo’s double drove in the two runners and the crowd erupted in applause and energized the Saint Stephen’s team with a new lead.

The game quickly ended after Castillo’s electrifying at-bat. During their seventh and final inning, it was now up to eighth grade starting pitcher for the Falcons, Amy Woodworth, to maintain the lead they’d worked so hard for. Woodworth had been improving her pitching all game, surprising fans and intimidating players with the amount of power she pitched the ball with. Woodworth described her mentality: “I just wanted to focus and win the game”

Her teammates too felt the drive to win. On last pitch of the game Woodworth was able to strike out the batter, but stayed humble, attributing her success to having Emma Craig behind the plate and the rest of her team behind her. Freshman Sydney Ashley explained, “Together we rise, together we fall.”

The girls will represent our district in regional play next Wednesday at the Moore Athletic Complex on April 22. Their opponent is yet to be determined.