Roddick retired but will not be forgotten

Andy Roddick, a top American tennis player, retired during the 2012 U.S. Open but left behind a great legacy. He played his last match seven days later against Argentinian Juan Martin Del Potro in a two-day scramble, ending in Roddick’s defeat.

Nick Bollettieri, founder of Bollettieri Tennis Academy, said Roddick brought a fighting spirit to the game.

“He showed what competing can do, and competing can win a lot of matches,” he said.

Bollettieri said he was particularly fascinated by the contribution Roddick made to American tennis. He said Roddick brought “passion and willing[ness] to fight [until] the end, especially for Davis cup.” Roddick and his American teammates were Davis Cup champions in 2007.

Senior William De Quant, who plays varsity tennis for Saint Stephen’s, said he mourns Roddick’s exit.

“It’s a big loss to the game, but he leaves really good legacy,” he said.

De Quant said he thought it was a good time for Roddick to step down.

“He’s either going to be the best, or he’s not going to play,” he said.

De Quant said Roddick has been a great influence on him as he started watching the game of tennis on the big screen–especially when Roddick won the U.S. Open in 2003 and became the second American after Pete Sampras to win the home slam.

De Quant said Roddick even inspired him to switch racquets.

“I just saw how big his serve was and how great his power was. That inspired me to get more power myself,” De Quant said.

Another tennis player from the Saint Stephen’s community, freshman Tatiana Esparza, said Roddick’s game inspired her to be aggressive with her shot selection.

“Roddick is a really powerful player, and I really like to hit hard,” she said.

Like De Quant, Esparza said she was shocked to see Roddick retire because she thought he was one of the most appreciated tennis players on tour.

Bollettieri said in the future, Andy Roddick will be replaced by another player for tennis to progress.

“To replace the competitiveness is not that easy. Do we have other boys and girls? Yes, but they got to have that competitiveness, and that’s what he brought to the game,” he said.