Chipotle and Jimmy John’s at school?

Jimmy+Johns+Slim+Sandwiches+offer+premium+cuts+of+meat+and+fresh+bread+daily+

Jimmy John’s Slim Sandwiches offer premium cuts of meat and fresh bread daily

Samson Yang, Lifestyle Beat Writer

Would you sign a petition to bring in Jimmy Johns and Chipotle

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
What do high school students like and need? Clothes? Shoes? Sleep? No, we all need, and want, healthier lunch choices. Here at Saint Stephen’s, our lunches have been the same for quite some time: Firehouse, Chick-Fil-a, and Papa John’s, all of which are unhealthy and not served fresh. Therefore it is important to appeal to the student demand for local options such as Chipotle or Jimmy John’s and promote healthy, better eating options.

Almost EVERYONE likes Chipotle and would really appreciate if our school started to offer it for lunch. In an unbiased poll taken in across all members of The Gauntlet staff, roughly over 80% were in favor of bringing in chains such as Chipotle and Jimmy John’s. These two top-notch culinary options are way more nutritionally balanced and offer more health benefits than current options. For instance, Chipotle offers healthy, fresh vegetables that people could actually eat without feeling turned off by the fact that they ate something healthy. High schoolers everywhere are faced with the burden of reheated frozen meals and imbalanced options. What can the student body do? Change! Chipotle! Jimmy John’s! Now!

After years and years of Papa John’s pizza slices, I know that our student body is tired of it. Seniors who have had school lunch since freshman year, like Trevor Mulqueen and Bryce Gay, said, “ We crave newer, better options because we don’t like the same deformed cold pizza everyday.”

The healthiest option might be a chicken salad from Chick-Fil-A on a lucky Tuesday or Thursday. This “salad” is one of the more rare items amongst the stacks of Papa John’s pizza slices. What can we do? We can actually offer REAL salads that chains like Chipotle offer. Chipotle offers locally-sourced vegetables and meats that taste great. Not only will students enjoy their meals, they will also be healthier!

If you’re in the mood for a healthy cold cut sandwich, then a suggestion is that SSES offer food from the popular food chain, Jimmy John’s. Jimmy John’s makes their bread fresh everyday and provides premium cuts of meat and fresh vegetables. Here at Saint Stephen’s, we are used to the same old soggy subs from Firehouse.

Firehouse can sometimes be good, but often is less than ideal. Jimmy John’s, on the other hand, offers consistently fresh subs to the public. Seniors who have been eating Firehouse Subs at school since freshman year, Ben Whorf and Parker Landsberg, said, “Jimmy John’s would be a way better replacement for Firehouse because they have never failed to offer premium sandwiches for that price point.”

Simply said, we should cater Jimmy Johns because of overall consistency and satisfaction.

Now a problem that some administrators might see could be the cost for these changes. But this isn’t a problem because Chipotle is very affordable. A basic chicken bowl costs only $7. Now imagine a catering discount and we could possibly be paying less than $5 for a very nutritious meal that appeals to the majority. At Jimmy John’s, their Slim sandwiches cost as low as $4. Again, slap on a catering discount that most restaurants offer and BOOM, we have a very affordable and tasty sandwich. Ultimately, it would not only be nutritionally beneficial to cater chains like Chipotle and Jimmy John’s, but also financially!

Appealing to such demands indeed require big changes, but this change will be revolutionary in any school. Offering Chipotle or Jimmy John’s only happens maybe during a lucky birthday or rare party. Just imagine having Chipotle or Jimmy John’s at least once every week at school. Our students will be healthier and more satisfied. No more cold, deformed Papa John’s Pizza and inconsistent Firehouse Subs. We need change, and that is why administrators should consider this article and appeal to almost everyone’s demand for better and healthier lunches. 

Chipotle is always fresh