Ringling artist visits Saint Stephen’s

Artist lecturer Kevin Costello, a professional artist from Ringling College of Art and Design, visited Saint Stephen’s Episcopal School in early February to teach students of Art levels 1,2, 3 and AP how to create figure drawings.

He instructed students on how to draw not how they see the model, but how the model portrays himself or herself.  “Don’t just look at it; see it,” he said.  This enabled students to perceive the model as a true artist would and be able to transfer the design onto paper.

Sophomore Lauren Biach said she enjoyed having the opportunity to learn how to perfect her figure drawing skills, since the concept of figure drawing is taught at a more basic level within the art curriculum at Saint Stephen’s.

“It’s a fun experience when you are able to look at someone and have the teacher help you realize what to notice and then be able to draw that person, while doing a decent job,” she said.

Senior Victoria Stadlin said by having a professional artist teach the students, she was able to understand what it would be like to draw in a more professional environment.

“It gives me some good real-world experience in a studio environment,” she said. “I would definitely recommend this [opportunity] to others.”

View Comments (1)

• MacKenZie RumageFeb 12, 2012 at 11:18 am

That’s cool! My parents work at Ringling and they know him!! My mom says he’s a cool guy…

Reply
Activate Search
Ringling artist visits Saint Stephen’s