Cell phones sentenced to a week in jail, again!

On Monday, the upper school will begin a "cell phone free" week. In building on last year's "social experiment," the student body will be challenged to function without their beloved mobile devices in hopes of experiencing life without distractions.

Many+advisors+build+little+%22cell+phone+jails%22+for+their+advisees+devices.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Many advisors build little

Many advisors build little "cell phone jails" for their advisees devices.

Mark Gharby, Section Editor

Last year, the Saint Stephen’s Upper School decided to undergo through a social experiment: Everyone -including faculty and staff- placed their iPhones and Droids in boxes or drawers in their advisories for the school day. The experiment lasted an entire week. (Click the link for a recap of last year’s experiment).

On Wednesday during assembly, Mr. Yanelli and his co-star, John Whelan, performed a skit in which they introduced, “The Man” via an Apple watch phone call.

The Man, played by Mr. Forrester, announced to the Upper School that the Cell Phone Social Experiment will return next week. Starting Monday, students will be required to go to their advisories to surrender their cell phones.

For some people, this experiment will be a breeze, maybe something they’ll get a lot out of.  For others it’s a little bit scary.

Since this is the second consecutive year of the experiment, it’s possible that administrators are thinking about making the experiment an annual event.