Sophomore YouTuber takes the Fortnite community by storm

Sophomore David Daigle creates YouTube tutorials for the popular video game Fortnite and he’s rapidly gaining followers with each video.

Alex DeStefano, Staff Writer

Sophomore David Daigle recognizes that Fortnite Battle Royale is the jam. Fortnite is a new game that’s caught the attention of millions of teens around the world, and Daigle has a keen skill for the game. For the past year, Daigle has been uploading tutorial videos on YouTube and the views are adding up.

David uploaded his first video, a montage of clips from his gameplay edited to sync seamlessly with background music, on June 24, 2018. However, he has been playing much longer than that, as he first became interested in the game in October of 2017. David has amassed around one-hundred subscribers and around 60 viewers per live stream.

Fortnite is a battle-royale style video game, meaning a game in which many players fight until only one player remains standing. A typical game begins when one hundred people jump out of a “flying bus,” landing in various locations on an island. Players then compete to open chests and gather loot, fighting each other and racking up kills in order to be the last man standing and earn the coveted “Victory Royale.”

Screenshot taken from one of David’s videos which includes a “Victory Royale”

Daigle decided to record his gameplay and post it to YouTube because he found that Fortnite is one of the things he loves to do most, and he wanted to share his hobby and skill for his friends and others to enjoy and learn from.

The YouTuber’s videos typically consist of a few minutes of in-game footage edited with background music. The clips include “Victory Royales,” cool sniper shots, and much more. Daigle posts videos frequently and has amassed hundreds of views per video.

Daigle says that he constantly goes for the coolest clips each match, downloading the clips and putting them into an editing program. From there, it takes him around two hours to turn this raw footage into a YouTube-ready video. The effort and time dedicated to this process most definitely shows in David’s videos which are very high quality.

Teens are not the only people recognizing Fortnite as a gaming sensation. Some colleges have begun to award scholarships for “e-sports,” or competitive video gaming. E-sports have leagues for the more elite players of the game, who compete in tournaments all over the country in places such as Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and New York City. The prize for these tournaments can range from thousands to even one-million dollars.

Ashland University in Ohio was the first of many schools to offer scholarships for these elite players. Regardless of his love for the game, Daigle doesn’t see himself playing it at the next level. “Fortnite is really just a hobby for me,” he said.

Daigle doesn’t only edit montages from short segments of his gameplay. He also does weekly live streams, where he can run his games live on YouTube for viewers to watch in real time. David usually includes three of his friends in the live stream to complete a full squad. 

Daigle sees Fortnite continuously growing and is excited to see what’s next to come. He says that the constant updating of the game is the main source for its success, as there is something new to come every week, including new skins, in-game items, and special events.

David also gave The Gauntlet a few tips from his playing experience for new and intermediate players:

David’s Do’s and Don’ts of Fortnite:

Do’s

1.) Always make sure to get materials. Materials are key for late-game success as most fights, in the end, require building.

2.) Use building to your advantage. You can use forts as a layer of protection as well as something as simple as a wall.

3.) Hold healables and shields; you never know how weak you might be after a fight.

4.) Try not to move as much when aiming at someone because moving lowers accuracy.

5.) Make sure your base has a solid foundation so it is not as easy to shoot out.

Don’ts

1.) Don’t waste money on skins (they are cosmetic only and grant no competitive advantage).

2.) Don’t underestimate an opponent. That’s how 90% of battles are lost.

3.) Don’t lose track of the storm and where the next zone is. Storm damage can be fatal.

4.) Don’t stay still. You are an easier target for snipers.

Head to the main article on The Gauntlet to see one of his videos.