Voices in the Nest: Mr. Daniel Zubizarreta

Based off of the popular interview series “Humans of New York,” Voices in the Nest features some real life stories from some real life Falcons.

This+is+Mr.+Zubie+on+one+of+his+fascinating+trips.+

This is Mr. Zubie on one of his fascinating trips.

Gavin Conner, Staff Writer

When the Gauntlet asked Mr. Zubie, what’s one thing that changed his life was, he told us it was actually a summer reading book. “When I was going to high school, in my freshman year, our summer book was called Season of Life by Jeffrey Marks. It’s the story of an athlete and a well respected man, named Joe Arrman. He has a formative situation where his brother gets cancer and dies.”

“Up to this point, he has a good life as a jock type. But [after his brother dies], he decides to retire playing for the Indianapolis Colts and instead, open a school. Basically, the entire premise of this school is teaching young men that are underprivileged how to be good men. The thing that is discussed throughout the entire story is how he became a football coach for one of the best teams in the entire state where he was teaching. before every game, the players said they loved each other.”

“It was really a book about young men going against what society tells them they should be or what they are expected to be. It’s about focusing on relationships and loving everyone. Reading that book before  high school and as I was becoming a young man just completely changed my outlook.” 

This book really affected his view on society and high school. “I think that in middle school and the beginning of high school, is that there is a lot of pressure on young men to figure out the man they will grow into; there is a lot of pressure to be athletic, good looking, be popular, have a good relationship with your friends and girls, to be tough and to not show emotions. After reading this book it completely changed my outlook. It flipped that on its head. It taught me that caring for others, the relationship you have with others, and how you treat others are more important. That completely changed my focus on who I wanted to be as a person. I also thought the book’s message for athletes was important. Instead of being super aggressive, off the field it’s about caring for your team, caring for your coach, and loving your family.”

5