The Gauntlet

Between the Bells: Mrs. Liebel

Who is running the show at Saint Stephen's these days? Changes to the lunch program in the new year brings a new staff member, and it's someone who's been a part of Saint Stephen's for a long time.

Emily D'Amico, Managing Editor

Courtesy of Ashlee Liebel
In December 2017, Mrs. Liebel and her daughter Paige (’23) pet a kangaroo at Featherdale Wildlife Park in Doonside, Australia.

With the new changes coming to Saint Stephen’s lunch program in the new year (the end of Metz food products and the return of local vendors), we welcome  a new staff member and familiar face.

Stepping into the role of Lunch Room Director is Mrs. Ashlee Liebel, mother of three.  Two of her children graduated as Forever Falcons (Todd ’14 and Bryce ’15), and her third child, Paige, is in middle school.

Although Mrs. Liebel has spent many years helping out around campus in all divisions and in all aspects, she’s now a permanent staff fixture in the lunch loggia.

The Gauntlet had the opportunity to talk with Mrs. Liebel, getting to know her better and what her many years at Saint Stephen’s has been like.

Q:Where are you originally from?

A: Bradenton, Florida.

Q:What is your dream vacation?

A: My dream vacation is chartering a boat and sailing around the British Virgin Islands.

Q:What is the coolest adventure you’ve been on?

A: Last Christmas, I went skydiving in Australia with [my youngest daughter] Paige.

Q:What are you most passionate about?

A: I’m very passionate about children. I just want them to succeed.

Q:Who’s your biggest inspiration?

A: I would say grandfather is my biggest inspiration because he worked very, very hard, he was very successful, he was kind, he was considerate, friendly. Just my grandparents in general. My grandmother was an amazing hostess and fun and quirky and both of them are my biggest inspirations.

Courtesy of Mrs. Liebel
The Liebel family (from left to right) Todd(‘), Mrs. Liebel, Bryce (‘), Paige (’23), and her husband Steve.

Q:If you could have dinner with any famous person, who would you pick and why?

A: I would pick the Wild Kratts. Chris and Martin Kratt. They do the children’s show Wild Kratts. Since my children have such large age gaps, I have watched The Wild Kratts quite a bit, and once they started getting older, they recognized that their show didn’t have the same appeal to children, and became animated, and I think it’s amazing that their egos weren’t so big and they saw that, “Hey, we can do this a better way, and it’s not just about me,” and were open to change.

Q:What brought you to Saint Stephen’s?

A: I came when my children were in kindergarten and preschool. I toured the school and was very impressed by the faculty and the curriculum.

Q:What has the transition from parent to staff member been like for you?

A: It’s been great because I’ve already sort of stepped into this role a couple of times when Mrs. O’Dell was sick, so it’s been a seamless transition. I’ve always volunteered in lots of ways, I’ve volunteered in the lunch room forever, it doesn’t seem very different.

Q:A term often used at SSES “the Saint Stephen’s community.” What’s been your experience in that community so far?

A: I think the Saint Stephen’s community is incredible. The parents that I met when my older children were in kindergarten– I am still friends with. I have helped in so many areas of this school and I’m always impressed by how much the parents go above and beyond and really want the school to be a great place for their child and other people’s children. I’m always very impressed when people do things for other people’s children.

Q:What’s your favorite Saint Stephen’s memory?

A: When my daughter Bryce was in kindergarten, she was Gretl von Trapp in The Sound of Music, and despite the hard bleachers, I could have sat there forever. That, and my son Todd’s graduation. I always cry just thinking about it.

About the Writer
Emily D'Amico, Managing Editor

Emily D'Amico is a new writer for The Gauntlet 2018-2019. She enjoys technical theater work behind the scenes and being a member of the cheerleading team...