Falcon runners represent Saint Stephen’s at state championships

Falcon runners represent Saint Stephen's at state championships

The 2012 Saint Stephen's track and field team sent seven runners to the state championships in Jacksonville.

Austin Siegel, Sports Editor
May 15, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Saint Stephen’s track and field team made some history this season.

Besides shattering a few school records, Saint Stephen’s sent the most runners in school history to states.

The team was coached by head coach Mr. Jamie Moore and assistants Mr. John Quinlan and Mr. Scott Hertrick.

“I don’t think it’s the most [runners] we’ve ever sent to regionals, but it is the most we’ve sent to states,’ Moore said.

“We had a total of nine runners compete at states,” he said.

Juniors Herman Israelsson, Hannah Howell, Alexis Sedillo, Gabriel Woodruff, sophomore Lauren Csubak, and freshmen Janae Murell and Paige Lindsay represented Saint Stephen’s at the State Track and Field Championships in Jacksonville.

Howell medaled in the 300 meter hurdles, placing eight in the state. Csubak finished ninth in the state in the 800 meters.

Saint Stephen’s also sent two relay teams to the state meet. The girls’ 400 X 100 meter team of Murell, Sedillo, Woodruff and Lindsay placed 13th, and the girls’ 400 X 400 meter team of Schubach, Woodruff, Lindsay and Howell placed 10th.

Moore was quick to point out the success of the Saint Stephen’s runners who didn’t advance past a tough regional meet.

“At regionals, even though he didn’t move on to states, Cameron Tally in the 800 meters shattered the school record, and his time at regionals…would have placed him ninth at states,” Moore said.

“Our boys’ 400 X 800 relay team of Nate Carr, Evan Amato, Brian Gentry and Cam [Tally]…finished sixth at Regionals, but with a time that would have placed them in the top ten in the state,” he said.

Moore was proud of the boys’ accomplishments, even though Israelsson was the only runner to make it to the state meet.

“The boys’ team had an awesome season in particular. It’s interesting because the girls sent more people to states, but this is the best boys’ season we’ve ever had as far as breaking school records,” Moore said.

At the beginning of the season, Moore said he didn’t really know what to expect from this year’s team.

“Our team is interesting because we have a wide variety [of runners]; this year we had 39 people compete in track and field, and they ranged from sixth grade up to seniors,” Moore said.

“At the beginning of this year we knew we were going to have a really strong boys’ team. The guys improved tremendously from last year to this year. [On] the girls’ team we knew we had to replace Alyssa Allen, who has been our MVP the last couple of years, and Cassidy Whitten, and those were going to be two huge shoes to fill,” he said.

“Or two pairs of shoes, I guess.”

He continued, “We had some really strong new runners with Paige Lindsay and Janae [Murell]. We had people who improved like Lauren Csubak, who made huge strides this year in improving from where she was last year, to now she is a state competitive runner,” he said.

Moore said that the two moments he will remember most from the season occurred at the district meet. Tally and Csubak were not seeded to make it out of districts in the 800 meters, but managed to upset their competition.

“Lauren [Csubak] went out and ran the best race that she had ever run up to that point and ended up second at districts even though she wasn’t even seeded in the top four,” he said.

With a second-place finish at districts, Csubak punched her ticket to the Regional meet. Then it was Tally’s turn.

“Cam [Tally] followed that up by running one of the gutsiest races I’ve ever seen him run,” Moore said. “He was fighting for fourth place and was ahead of the other competitor for most of the race. He was passed with about 150 meters left. Somehow, he end ended up passing the guy in the last 40 meters to beat him out for the spot in regionals,” (only the top four finishers advanced to Regionals).

The next week at the regional meet, Csubak and Tally managed to improve on their times in the 800 meters, something Moore said just “doesn’t happen,” in only a week.

“Watching them run the 800 meters at districts and regionals was probably, for me, the highlight of the season,” he said.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!