Artist of the Month: Alexa Baroncelli

Grace Moore, Photo Editor

“I think anyone can make great art, because everyone has a different opinion on what ‘great’ art is and what it takes.” Alexa Baroncelli

Baroncelli, sophomore, knows more about great art than the average high school student at Saint Stephen’s.  This is due to her incredible artistic ability in the form of paintings and sculptures.  Alexa works hard on perfecting her techniques and enhancing her ability both in and outside of school.  She is currently in Studio Art with Mrs. Johnson and excelling in each and every way.

Baroncelli gets inspiration from various artists she finds online, especially on sites such as Pinterest and Tumblr.  She then combines their influence with her own creative abilities to form her own original works of art.  The internet is becoming an increasingly popular means for artists to gain inspiration and insight, as hundred of sites such as YouTube and personal blogs on Tumblr and Pinterest have tutorials and ideas meant to inspire developing artists.  Alexa utilized the typical teenage addiction, social media, in a productive way focus in on and pursue her passions.  Baroncelli’s favorite medium is painting, but she experiments with drawing, sculpting, and graphic design as well.

A white charcoal drawing by Alexa of Augustus, the first emperor of Rome.  Drawn for a Latin club competition.
A white charcoal drawing by Alexa of Augustus, the first emperor of Rome. Drawn for a Latin club competition.

Alexa views her art as a form of self-expression.  “I like that art can express emotions and feelings without the artist having to explain any of it.”  This is a quality many artists share because often times words and actions cannot fully convey an idea.  The art form takes the place of words and is often more accurate in portraying that emotion or thought.  This is the wonderful thing about art; it provides a more beautiful, and often more effective method of communication between the artist and the viewer.

Unlike many, Alexa discovered her passion for art at a very young age.  Kindergarten was the first time she was introduced to an art room, but even before that she loved doodling and making things with her hands.  The art classes Alexa took over her school years helped to direct and develop her artistic abilities and has always been a huge focus of her schoolwork.  They have even inspired her to take additional classes outside of school, at Ringling last summer and at The Savannah College of Art and Design this coming summer.

It is rare for a high school student to know what they want to do when they get older.  Alexa’s passion for art has inspired her to want to study and pursue graphic design in college and in a future career.  This field is growing increasingly in importance with regard to advertisements, logo design for companies, and even literary illustrations.

“Finishing a project just simply makes me feel proud and amazed at the same time, because no matter how much I progress in art I’ll always still be amazed at what hard work can do.” Mrs. Johnson, the upper school art teacher, always stresses the idea that the ability to create great art is not something that people are born with.  It takes years of practice and dedication to perfect all the skills necessary to become a great artist.  Well-known artists such as Salvador Dali and Picasso were not gifted their incredible artistic talent.  Instead they had to work for their fame through hard work and dedication to their art.  Alexa, while maybe not aspiring to become the next Da Vinci, has a jumpstart in a career that she has demonstrated a passion in since a little girl.