Senioritis gets the best of the Class of 2013

Do you have senioritis yet? If not, then congratulations! You are probably not completely fed up with the whole idea of high school just yet. However, if you said yes, then, you are on board with the rest of the senior class who is ready to savor the sweet freedom of college life.

As a senior, I’ll be the first one to admit that I have a very severe case of senioritis right now and probably have had it since junior year. I’ve always been the type of person who has had her whole life planned out. From the beginning of ninth grade, I knew what profession I wanted, where I wanted to live and had a general knowledge of which colleges I was interested in.

But because I can get so consumed with what my future holds, I sometimes end up forgetting what is happening in the now and that can be scary in its own right.

If this at all sounds like you, it’s okay. Senioritis among seniors is completely normal, because between all the tedious college applications, stressful classes and trying to maintain some semblance of a social life, sometimes you want it to all go away. For many people, thinking about graduating and escaping all the chaos sounds like a great plan. But let’s be honest: college isn’t going to be all sunshine and rainbows.  There’s bound to be stress there, too.

So, let’s just take a moment to be grateful for what we have accomplished this year:  submitting those lengthy college applications and delivering that dreaded senior speech in front of the entire Upper School.

Seniors, this is your time to make memories with your friends that will last a lifetime. Build upon the relationships you have forged with your teachers and prove to yourself that you have the skills you need for college next year. Dwelling on how much you wish you were in college is not going to make the months until graduation pass any quicker. Remember, you’re only a high school senior once, so you might as well make the most of it.

Personally, I know how difficult it is to come to this realization. In my twelve years at Saint Stephen’s, I’ve been surrounded by many of the same people since Lower School. Days have gone by when I wish for a change of scenery, but then I realize that Saint Stephen’s has been one of my greatest support systems throughout some of the most crucial years of my life.

We all may have one foot out the door, but make sure that these few precious months leading up to graduation are not wasted. Plan a class bonding activity. Go back and visit past teachers, telling them how much you appreciate their support. Make time in your busy schedule for the family and friends who matter. I know that some of this may sound overly sentimental, but this can completely shift your attitude from one of bitterness to a more positive outlook on senior year.

In the end, we, as seniors, need to stop living too far into the future and cherish some of our last moments as carefree adolescents.