Students share trendy ideas for spring fashion

Everyone knows the Upper School’s dress code requirements: polos or oxfords are the rule. This spring’s new trends are Vineyard Vines and monograms. So, how do our students personalize a uniform that’s so impersonal?

Monograms

Senior Lauren Biach: The main things that are trending so far this year are monograms, Vineyard Vines and Sperrys. Monograms [are in because of] the idea of being able to personalize your accessories that you already love to wear makes them more unique and fashionable. I know that if you just have a plain backpack you can monogram your initials and it’s more yours, and it just adds more personality.

Senior Rachel Stanell: Monograms are, of course, really in. Everything preppy, so [this style would include] Vineyard Vines and colorful clothes. Now we’re getting into the spring, so more pastel colors. Everyone has monograms because they’re personal and cute. It’s just a fun way to spice things up and make it your own.

Senior Cole Sorenson: The only monograms a guy would wear would be on a proper dress shirt for a formal event, and those are typically done on the cuff or the pockets of their dress shirt. Girls, on the other hand seem to have monograms everywhere, and I’m pretty sure that’s because of Lilly Pulitzer.

Sophomore Devon Sullivan: [They’re] cool because it’s your individual style, but it’s a trend you can follow [and] can get them anywhere. Just don’t overdo it, because some girls at school decide wearing five on one day [think] it’s a good idea, but it’s not. You can totally do an overkill on the monogram, but you don’t want to do that you. [You have to] find your balance. Classy not trashy.

Vineyard Vines

Screen shot 2014-02-25 at 11.32.31 AMSenior Chase Myer: I guess it all derived from Mr. Flanigan. He’s the king of Vineyard Vines. Having that influence coming down, he’s definitely had an influence [on] the way people dress, especially [on] me. Coming here from a public school to private school it totally changed the way I dress. Vineyard Vines just stands out. When I wear something, I want to stand out. I want to look good, and I know I’m happy [with] what I’m wearing.

Senior Rachel Stanell: Vineyard Vines is a relatively newer company, and its just really classic, clean, preppy style. [It’s going to] be a big thing.

Senior Cole Sorenson: Sperrys and Vineyard Vines make the most comfortable clothing you will ever wear. That’s why I personally wear them. Additionally, it’s very colorful, and it makes you stand out. Vineyard Vines is unique because it hasn’t come to Florida yet. It’s from the Northeast, [more specifcally] from Martha’s Vineyard, [where it] originated.

Sophomore Devon Sullivan: Vineyard Vines — their clothes are beautiful. I get this confident boost. I think if I could give advice to anyone, it’s that you can only wear Vineyard Vines if they have a whale on it. Don’t pay the money if nobody knows it’s going to be Vineyard Vines. You [have to] be a conscientious shopper. If you’re [going to] buy a sweater, make sure it has a whale on it, because why would you pay for a sweater [that is] $80 when you get a copy of it from The Gap for $15.