Class of 2013 participates in annual Senior Walk

With only 31 days ’til graduation, May 1 marked a significant day for the Class of 2013 as seniors walked around the Palm Courtyard in their caps and gowns at the school’s annual Senior Walk. On this momentous day, there was an overwhelming realization among the seniors as to how close graduation really is and how little time remains for them at Saint Stephen’s.

Senior Hannah Martell said getting ready with her classmates in her repalia was what made the emotions so real for her.

“You don’t really think about it, but unwrapping your cap and gown to put it on, helping your friends fix their hair and walking past everyone makes it all so real,” she said.

Senior Natalie Haschek agreed that the whole experience of the Senior Walk was sentimental.

“When Natalie [Marciniak] started crying [while lining up], it made me realize that this [experience] is basically over. Also, having the whole school there to see the seniors in cap and gown was very eye-opening,” she said.

Senior Brian Elliott said it was fun to finally participate in the Senior Walk after being on the sidelines for so many years.

“It was kind of unbelievable that I got to take part in this after [watching this event] for [the past] 14 years,” he said.

Senior Herman Israelsson said the experience and the few weeks left until graduation brought about various emotions for him.

“I’ll be going off to try new things, and I’ll be going to a new school, which I’ve done before. This experience is still sad because I’ll be leaving my comfort zone [soon]. It makes me a little stressed and nervous, but I’m very excited,” he said.

Martell said she felt the Senior Walk was a tremendous bonding experience for the entire class.

“This [is one of the] last chance[s] to be together as a class, and it makes us realize where we’ve come from [because] we’ve been with these people for so many years,” she said.

One aspect of the Class of 2013 that has been prominent throughout the years has been the wide range of personalities amongst the students.

Haschek said those personalities are something she will miss next year in college.

“Sometimes I can’t wait to get out of [high school] and experience different things. Then I think about all of the different personalities in our grade. It’s weird how there are so many people on opposite sides of the spectrum in the senior class, [yet] we’re all integrated together,” she said.

Senior Tori Biach agreed and said there is never a dull moment with the senior class.

“I will miss the humor that everyone in this senior class has. There is never a dry moment in class, and everyone is always joking around,” she said.

Elliott said graduation at the end of this month marks both an end and a new beginning.

“It’s a bittersweet feeling because I’m excited [for college], but it is still sad to be leaving everyone I’ve known for the past 14 years,” he said.

Haschek said she is also sad to be leaving high school, but looks forward to starting a new chapter in her life.

“I’m looking forward to graduation, but at the same time…then everything about high school is over and we’re starting over in different places next year. We’ll be the freshmen again, and that’s crazy,” she said.

Israelsson said with graduation quickly approaching, he plans on maintaining a positive attitude.

“For me, I [don’t look at this as] a goodbye; it’s more like a see you later,” he said.