iPad initiative is met with mixed opinion

Middle and Upper School students will be required to have an iPad for school next year, and students’ reactions are already ranging from extremely excited to dreading the change.

The Gauntlet: How do you feel about next year’s switch to iPads?

Freshman Annie Brey: “I am all for the switch to iPads. I think it will be much easier and lighter than having to carry books around. There are many activities that can help students understand the information; there are pretty much apps for everything.”

Junior Caitlin Brown: “I’m against the switch to iPads for next year. I’m an active learner; I have to go through the motion of physically writing something down to retain it.”

Junior Eric Roberts: “Personally, I’m for it, because I think that iPad use in the classroom has helped me become more organized and stay more on task.”

Q: How will the iPad initiative change your learning experience?

Brown: “Taking pictures and recording segments of class will become easier, as well as sending and typing documents.”

Sophomore Ben Kalish: “Because I have seen what developers are capable of in a digital setting, I look forward to a whole new learning experience driven by modern-day educators.”

Roberts: “[There] will be a lot more integrated use of apps and technology-based visual aids in classes.”

Q: Will it be a productive switch for classes?

Brey: “I think most students [at Saint Stephen’s] are mature enough not to use Facebook or play games during class, but this depends on each person.”

Sophomore Dylan Patterson: “It will be extremely tempting for students to use iPads for things other than school work, especially since some students already do that with their phones. It will be even worse because teachers won’t necessarily be able to monitor what everyone is doing on their iPads.”

Freshman Sam Tobio: “The iPad is a tool; some students may choose to continue notes on paper and use iPads only for required things. I think it will be clear to teachers who is and isn’t using [their] iPads properly. Even if a few abuse it, this privilege should not be taken away from everyone else.”

Q: How do you use your iPad now?

Brown: “I don’t use it as often as my iPhone. I usually bring my iPad to English, but I prefer to type papers on my computer because typing on the iPad takes longer. When I do use my iPad, it’s for checking e-mails and NetClassroom.”

Kalish: “I do have an iPad, and, in an attempt to get more comfortable with using it, I wrote several papers on it last interim. While transitioning to a smaller keyboard was difficult, I find that because of iPad’s superior battery life and portability, I now use it more than my laptop.”

Tobio: “This year, I have really adopted the help of an iPad. I type all my papers [on it], I use apps, I have my books [and] I love the extra five pounds it takes out of my bag every day.”

Q: Are you more of a book person or an e-book person?

Brown: “I’m definitely more of a book person than an e-book person. The page turning and mental images of pages make it easier for me to remember where important quotes are, or where I thought an important chapter was. Also, with a book, there are no distractions.”

Patterson: “I’m more of a book person because I like to physically hold the book in my hand and write notes in it, and you can’t really do that with an e-book.”

Roberts: “I used to be more of a book person, but now that I have my iPad, I find that e-books are often much more convenient. As a result, I’ve been reading a lot more lately.”