Gentry named a National Merit Scholar

In his years attending Saint Stephen’s Episcopal School, senior Brian Gentry has made an academic niche for himself.

After winning countless academic awards and staying at the top of his class, he now brings home a distinction only a few others can claim: the National Merit Scholarship.

Ms. Elizabeth Teske, Upper School Academic Dean and Gentry’s advisor, said it is a distinguished honor to be awarded this national scholarship.

“The National Merit Scholarship Corporation… recognize[s] the top 2% of students who complete the PSAT in their junior year,” she said.

Gentry said finding out about his scholarship involved a long wait.

“The process was kind of tedious, and so I had to wait the entire [school] year to find out if I had made it, but it was worth it in the end,” he said.

Teske said Gentry clearly possesses the traits that qualified him for this scholarship.

“Brian is one of those rare students who can perform well in everything. He’s a good student, organized, diligent and it seems like it comes naturally to him. Brian is a student who I’m worried about overdoing something rather than underdoing it,” she said.

Mrs. Barbara O’Neil, Chair of the Mathematics Department, said she has seen Gentry progress throughout his high school years.

“I first taught Brian when he was a freshman in Honors Geometry. He has always been a very dedicated student, completed his homework and has always had good insight into the material we were covering,” she said.

She added, “I have seen him grow and mature over the years not only in his [academics and] athletics, but he was President of the Math Club this year as well. He has taken a great leadership role in raising money and taking the team to States.”

Gentry agreed that he has remained committed to his academics but believes he has also developed his sense of character throughout high school.

“Academics have remained [a constant] for me, and I’ve always tried to do my best with my schoolwork. However, I’d like to think that I’ve [also] come into my own and become more confident [during high school],” he said.

In the fall, Gentry will be attending North Carolina State University.

O’Neil said she is confident this scholarship will act as a stepping stone to help him pursue future goals.

“I think this scholarship will open many doors for Brian in the future,” she said.

As he leaves his legacy on the school that helped him become the person he is today, Gentry said he has some words of wisdom for underclassmen:

“Keep in mind that grades count towards college even when you’re a freshman or underclassman, so don’t think you can slack off and then pick it up later,” he said.

View Comments (1)

• Chris FauvelMay 3, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Congratulations Brian!!

Reply
Gentry named a National Merit Scholar