Alumnus returns home to serve his country

Alumnus Qizhi Wong graduated from Saint Stephen’s in 2012 and went back home to Singapore to be a part of the National Service. Unlike military service in the United States, the National Service in Singapore is compulsory for all males. The Gauntlet asked him about his experience as a soldier in his home country.

The Gauntlet: Why did you join National Service?

Wong: “As a male Singaporean, it is compulsory for [me] to serve in the military for two years. During these two years, we will learn the skills needed to defend our country in times of war.”

Q: What would have happened if you had not joined the military?

A: “I would never be allowed to step in Singapore again. It is a serious crime to skip National Service.”

Q: Describe a typical day in National Service.

A: “As recruits, we have to wake up around 4:30 every morning. We start the day by marching to the cookhouse to have our breakfast at 6 a.m. We then follow the day’s activities.

Q: What are your activities?

A: “Our activities range from route marches with our full battle gear to running through an obstacle course. We also have field camp where we stay in the jungle for six days without bathing. In addition, we are taught how to fight, how to shoot a gun and how to move in battle formation. My personal favorite would be the aqua jog where the army allows recruits to use the swimming pool for rehabilitation purposes.”

Q: What are some of the rules that you have to follow?

A: “There are a thousand and one rules in the Army. The army core rules lie heavily under punctuality and discipline.”

Q: How often do you communicate with friends and family?

A: “We are given about an hour of free time every day [to communicate] just before we go to sleep. I normally take this time to text my mom and brothers. If I have more time than usual, I will call my dad and have a short chat with him.”

Q: How often are you allowed to go back home?

A: “We are allowed to go back every Friday evening. We book back in on Sunday evening.”

Q: How do you like the atmosphere there?

A: “I really love the people in my platoon. Like the community at Saint Stephen’s, the army has people from all walks of life. We have Americans, Greeks, Italians and Malaysians in our midst. They are all permanent residents of Singapore and are also serving in the National Service.”

Q: What do you plan to do after you finish military service?

A: “My plans after National Service is to return to America to further pursue my education. Hopefully, I can get into the college of my choice where I can both study and play golf.”

Q: Would you still join the military if it were up to you to choose?

A: “Yes; however, I would probably join for a shorter period of time… The army teaches you to not take things for granted. I certainly took things like sleeping on a bed and taking showers for granted. The army also instills in you a sense of belonging and develops camaraderie between the recruits.”