Students are against gun ban but support better regulations

The issue of gun control has been a popular topic among many, especially since the tragic shooting in January at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT. Saint Stephen’s students said they do not support the complete ban of guns but want to see increase in gun regulations.

Senior J.R. Houston said guns are necessary for better security and the protection of our citizens.

“The only thing that can prevent a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun,” he said.

Junior Delia Revard said she favors gun regulation over gun ban, and she would like to see a gradual approach to the eventual outcome of making guns illegal.

“I think it would be incredibly short sighted to go to such drastic measures like banning [guns] completely,” she said.

Revard added that the problem with guns is how easily they are attained in this country.

“You can walk into Walmart and get ammo for a heavy duty assault rifle without anyone so much as blinking an eye,” she said.

Sophomore Garret Barnes said it is important for gun owners to use their guns with caution and to make sure they put them away in a safe place after using them to prevent causing problems.

“If you are [openly] walking out with a gun, I am totally against it,” he added.

Junior Savannah Glasgow said she is completely against the potential gun ban.

“We protect our president with guns, we protect our congressman with guns, so why can’t we protect our families [with guns]?” she asked.

Glasgow said she believes the Second Amendment is constitutional and should not be taken away.

“It is a little outdated because it talks about militias, but I think that it could be reformed,” she said.

Sophomore Tim Macchi said he thinks security would be a lot worse if the Second Amendment was taken away because criminals would not follow the law.

“In Mexico, it is actually illegal to own a firearm at all, but obviously, as we see now, nearly every third person owns one,” he said, adding that the banning of firearms would increase danger because only criminals would have guns, but not people who could responsibly use them.

Others said people who commit crimes would intentionally hide their guns, even with gun ban laws.

“The guns will still be [there],” Barnes said.

The freedom to carry guns has made this country more paranoid about security, which is an invasion of privacy, Revard said.

“Even with all the extra security measures, we still can’t seem to crack down on it all,” she said.