Falcon Voices and Upper School Band bring holiday cheer

In the picturesque setting of Pier 22, the Upper School band and Falcon Voices ushered in the holiday season with harmonious music and singing the night of Tuesday, Dec. 4. Songs included “White Christmas,” “The Hanukkah Song” and “Slow Rocking Christmas.”

Mr. Jamie Marshall music teacher, Upper School band director and leader of the Falcon Voices, was in high spirits Tuesday night and said that he was very proud of the concert’s success.

“[This] concert is the best holiday performance in my recent memory. The venue at the Pier 22 restaurant provided an adult atmosphere and a chance to expand our performance time. It was a great program,” he said.

This was the final concert in a series of three holiday-themed performances that the Upper School band and Falcon Voices perform each year. Senior Shreya Patel said that this concert, however, was the most successful.

“The grand finale of the entire concert series was playing at Pier 22. The performance went really well. A lot of the mistakes we had made during previous concerts got fixed, especially since we had everyone there,” she said.

Sophomore Toby Chinwuba, who is in his second year in the group, said everything went smoothly, particularly in the male section of the Falcon Voices.

“Last year we had seven guys in chorus. Now we only have three, but I think we still did really well even though we had [so few] guys,” he said.

Patel said the last song the band performed was emotional for both the band members and the audience.

“Mr. Marshall got sentimental about this being the last holiday concert for the seniors. [However], we had so much energy in it, so everyone got excited about it,” she said.

Looking towards second semester, both the Upper School band and Falcon Voices have a lot of preparing to do, particularly when it comes to the Worldstrides Heritage Festival in Orlando, which will be held in April.

Patel said, “We’re going to start working on festival music, and we’ll be going to Orlando… [to] compete against other bands in the area.”

Chinwuba also expressed his enthusiasm for the festival and said the Falcon Voices will be making more appearances in chapel.

“We have a lot of solos coming up [for the music festival]. We’re going to try doing more performances in chapel. Right now we’re working on Bruno Mars [pieces] and also some eighties music,” he said.

Marshall said he wants to continue performing concerts within the school community.

“I am planning a February Valentine’s concert with both [the Falcon Voices and Upper School band], the first of its kind in my time here. We will [also] do our traditional Sunset Serenade with the Middle School band in late April,” he said.