Students and faculty welcome the new school year

Preparing for the first several weeks of classes is like putting on a major production. While students relished their last days of sweet summer the past few weeks, the faculty and administration at Saint Stephen’s worked as the backstage crew in preparing for the students’ arrival Tuesday, August 21.

The Prep:

Mrs. Beth Teske, the Academic Dean of Students, said she cut back on her vacation time this summer because of how much time is needed to work on students’ schedules for this year.

“We put in a lot… and the few weeks before school are very hectic. The faculty are in and out all summer long. Dr. Watts and I did not take [a lot of] vacation time… but we really want school to work,” Teske said.

Organizing and creating the schedule for every student in the Upper School proved a tedious task, Teske said.

“The bulk of what I do [during the summer] is work on the schedules. Mrs. Teahan worked on it with me, and it really helped to have another person check the schedules.”

In addition, faculty in the technology department said they have made new improvements around the school, including updating software, expanding the wireless network and organizing equipment.

Mr. Dave Snodgress, Director of Technology, said, “There is a lot of maintenance work during the summer. We are always upgrading the network for the students, and we are trying to grow the network as well.”

Educating both students and teachers on how to properly use school-wide technology has been a goal of the technology department as they organized and expanded all aspects of their department during the summer.

Mrs. Cindy Addison, Technology Integration Coordinator, said, “We set up [these] systems for the benefit of teachers and students and want them using resources such as Netclassroom.”

The students’ take:

There is no doubt that the first few weeks of school are nerve racking, whether you are a freshman or a senior.  However, as students stepped foot in the Upper School, there was a common excitement for what the new school year will bring as familiar faces were seen across the hallway and students chatted about their new classes and teachers.

Freshmen Annie Brey and Joe Class said they were both anxious and excited to get started.

“I’m the first child in my family, so I really did not know what to expect in high school. The Upper School is bigger than the Middle School, but overall [my first day went well],” Class said.

Other students remarked that they had been enjoying their classes and the opportunities they offered.

Sophomore and new student Kristen Brockett said chorus was an emerging favorite.

“I really like chorus because I used to be in a show choir when I was younger, and everyone has been very friendly.”

Cheyenne Fauvel, a freshman, said she battled some initial nerves in French Class.

“ It was good, and I had a fun time [in the class].”

For seniors, being back in the daily grind of high school life proved frustrating after a summer spent without dress code and parking space issues.

Senior Shreya Patel said she now understood why last year’s seniors made such a stink about their prized parking spots.

“There are juniors who park in senior parking spaces [on the first day] and that is really frustrating. We’ve earned our right to our senior parking space.”

This year, the Upper School faculty and administration will be cracking down on dress code violations, which may upset people who have normally slipped by in years past.

“The dress code this year is ridiculous,” said senior Hailey Nicklin.

Nonetheless, most seniors said they were happy to be big man on campus and truly want to leave a legacy.

“I have a lot more privileges now that I am a senior and that’s a good feeling,” senior Connor McMillan said.

Teske said that overall the first several weeks of school went well from what she had seen and heard.

“[It] went as planned and went really well. Everyone is excited to see [the students] back, and we are excited for this year,” she said.