Good eats and great finds at UTC

An insider’s look at stores and restaurants at the University Town Center

Shreya Patel, Cultures Editor

With the holidays just around the corner, finding a place to visit with your family becomes a top priority. My suggestion is that you pay a visit to the University Town Center Mall off of University Parkway in Sarasota. Contrary to popular opinion, this mall is much more than a place to spend your hard-earned money. From world-class fashion to hip dining destinations, this mall has brought a whole new level of fun to Sarasota. The new building features about 880,000 square feet of retail space with major department stores such as Macy’s, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Dillard’s. Additionally, the center offers made-to-order food such as pizza and Chinese food as well as fine dining options. And let’s not forget the crown jewel of the new shopping center: the Cheesecake Factory.

Before diving into the delicious foods and desserts that the mall offers. Let’s burn a few of  those calories visiting the retailers. If you are in need of Christmas gifts, Macy’s is the place to go. The minute you walk through those sliding doors, the smell of Starbucks welcomes you. Be sure to purchase a cup of coffee or  hot chocolate to keep you up and running for the rest of your visit. As you make your way through the store, friendly cosmetologists representing famous makeup designers offer you samples and gifts to take home in light of the holidays. If you’re visiting with a sister or gal pal, the beauticians are always ready to do a makeover free of charge! Whether just to smell good or sit down to get dolled up, Macy’s gets you ready for a day of shopping.

Next up is Lush, a cool and inventive store that will keep you on your toes. Lush sells fresh handmade cosmetics that can be used by both men and women. From scents as wild as rose jam to festive scents like apple cinnamon, these soaps and cleansers help you stay fresh and feeling good. With your newly purchased Lush cosmetics, you can make your way to the center of the mall for a rest and to enjoy the soft, calming sounds of the grand piano. So quick, grab a seat and some comfort food. But from where?

The Cheesecake Factory makes comfort food like no other. The restaurant itself provides the perfect environment to celebrate any occasion, from birthdays to family get-togethers. In light of the season, there are many featured seasonal dishes that can’t be missed. One of these is the Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake. Even if you are not in the mood to eat big hearty meal, having a slice of the original cheesecake is surely a must. With friendly servers and a cozy ambiance, the Cheesecake Factory always has a busy wait list, sometimes as long as 3 hours! So what are you waiting for? Go make your reservation!

Now, you’re going to need some trendy and comfortable clothes to workout in to burn those calories off! Lulu Lemon, a favorite amongst the healthy and active consumers, offers a variety of the most unique athletic gear. As Saint Stephen’s students, we are always on the go whether it be to practice or yoga. Lulu’s sells clothing with unique fabrics for all of your sweaty pursuits. And if you are feeling adventurous, the retailer hosts in-store events and workshops to promote healthier and more enjoyable lifestyles. Sometimes, especially during the holidays, the store even has freshly baked goods right in the front!

With all of that holiday cheer surrounding, you mustn’t forget to take your picture with the characters from Disney’s Frozen. No matter how old you are, a little holiday picture taking never hurts! This much-loved, interactive display features character from the movie in a 30 foot Ice Palace with snow covering the ground. To complete the experience, a light show and interactive activities for families are also offered. You can even have your hand printed into the ice at the Icy Hand Print experience to compare in size with Sven and Olaf. You must be wondering, “What about Santa?” Don’t fret because a photo with Santa is the perfect way to end your magical journey!

You can’t leave the mall without visiting the famous Apple Store. From the lit up sculpture on the window display to the contemporary design of the store itself, Apple takes you to another world. So if you are tired of shopping, this store is the perfect place to let loose. Here, you have the opportunity to play games and take pictures on the variety of innovation the company provides. You can also talk to people on the “genius” bar about questions you have about the products. If you are in need to jazz up your Apple device, there are many patterned and colored cases and clutches to choose from.